Thursday, January 29, 2009

The x-box

"Hey, I just wanted to return you some stuff." She says.

Suddenly I notice the box grasped in her hands. She catches me by surprise.

"What is it?" I retort, my hands reaching out.

"Just some things." She replies, almost sheepishly.

I work the lid off and in an instant my curiosity turns to confusion. Then rage.

The frown on my face says enough. My mouth is agape in silence. My eyes locked on her.

A few seconds pass by before I manage my words.

"What is this?" I say almost in disbelief.

My glance, focusing on the box in my hands. Everything I had ever given her, now staring back at me. My pulse picks up speed and my breathing grows heavy. I can't help but feel totally fucked.

Her feet shift uncomfortably but she doesn't say a word.

"Are you trying to hurt me?" I press on. My eyes shifting back and forth.

No answer.

"What are you trying to do to me?!" Anger seeping into my sentence.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what she had to say. But I needed a reason to argue. A reason to swear and a reason to be pissed off.

"Tell me what you are trying to do??!"

Her lips move but she is hesitant to answer. Clever girl. She's trying not to say the wrong thing and she's probably right to stay quiet. But I want to explode. I deserve to explode dammit.

I am John Cusack in High Fidelity.

"I just want."

"You want what??" I interrupt her mid sentence.

"I just want us to have a clean break." Her voice fading off. She knows instantly that she should have kept her mouth shut. And she should have.

"What???" I demanded. My blood now boiling as I give her no opportunity to reply.

"What do you mean by a clean break?"

"A clean break for you or for me?"

"What? you want don't want to be reminded of me ever? is that what this is?"

I am flustered at this point but my anger is just beginning. I grab the teddy bear resting in the box.

"What do you expect me to do with this???" I must look insane strangling the teddy bear in my grip.

"..I am sorry."

"You're sorry?" I say, exasperatedly.

"YOU'RE SORRY???" I repeat feeling very justified.

She doesn't know what to say and I want more. But there's nothing she can say that will douse the fire in me. And I stop. I will regret not saying more, but I refrain. I drop the bear in the box and turn around to leave. With box in tow I never look back. Not once.

I hope you're real fucking happy now.

No comments: